bio workload question

Ken Cameron Cameronkm at RASCAL.GUILFORD.EDU
Wed Aug 6 10:49:51 EST 1997

Since a few people have asked, here is the survey question that I sent
out last month one more time if you care to put your data into the
pool!  Thanks.

Dear Fellow Biologists,

There exists a long-standing feud between the science faculty and the
non-science faculty here at Guilford College over the issue of workload
equity.  In order to address this issue, I am conducting an informal
survey among primarily national liberal arts colleges and asking for
your assistance.

How many courses does each of your biology (science) faculty teach in a
given semester/year or more specifically, how many classsroom "contact
hours" to do put in for teaching per semester?  What are your research
responsibilities?

As an example, I teach three different 4-credit lecture sections AND
three 0-credit lab sections during each of our two semesters. Lectures
usually meet two times per week for 75 minutes each and labs for 3
hours. Adding this up, I am physically in the classroom for a total of
at least 16.5 real contact hours per week (3 X 2.5 hrs = 7.5 for lecture
AND 3 X 3 hrs = 9 for lab). This is 12 credit hours. I also prep my own
labs, oversee independent research, and advise about 25 students, but
must admit that I am not necessarily expected to maintain a research
program.  We have no professional support staff, but do use undergrad
TAs in the labs.

Our non-science faculty also teach three 4-credit courses for the same
12 credit hours, but their real contact hours typically add to only 7.5
per week (3 X 2.5hrs).

Your assistance with this survey is greatly appreciated, and I would be
happy to share a final copy with you if you would like.  Thank you in
advance.

Ken Cameron, Ph.D.
Dept. of Biology
Guilford College