Question RE pinecones

dwhite1 dwhite1 at erols.com
Wed Aug 6 10:35:18 EST 1997

Thanks for the response.  Maybe I can provide a little more detail.  The
pine cones are about an inch long and are greyish brown.  Most of the ones
I picked off the ground were still closed.  They did open up after a day or
so of leaving them in my car.  However, there were no seeds to be found in
the cones or in the car.  Am I correct in saying that the seeds should be
at the bottom of each "petal" of the cone that opens up?  Is it possible
that the seeds are very very small like grains of salt? or is this somehow
a sterile tree?

BTW, the tree is growing in New Jersey.

Thanks,
dwhite1 at erols.com

Ross Koning <koning at ECSUC.CTSTATEU.EDU> wrote in article
<l03020900b00e2eadd6ad@[149.152.32.5]>...