Louis Van Houtte, 1875?

Thu Aug 7 14:25:39 EST 1997

At 3:12 PM -0400 8/7/97, Judy Schmalstig wrote:
>Dear Fellow Plant-edders,
>
>A colleague at my school has found a book of lithographics of ornamental
>plants by Louis Van Houtte published in Belgium in 1875.  He is
>wondering about who Van Houtte was and about the value of the prints.
>Any leads?
>Thank you.

Judy,

I'm afraid I'm not much of a history buff, but
this could be the van Houtte who was honored with
the epithet for bridal wreath (Spirea vanhouttei),
a common spring-blooming shrub with nice white
berries later in summer.  I'm sure there are
folks who know botanical history and taxonomy
and who can tell you much more!

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479