How to kill a 15 meters high tree ?

Alan J. Flavell flavell at a5.ph.gla.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 11:17:58 EST 1997

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Robert Nettles wrote:

>  If you leave the stump, you may have termite problems,
> and getting rid of a stump is easier that getting rid of termites!!!!

I'm reading this on uk.d-i-y, and I think the question related to France.
Seems to me that the more likely problem here with old stumps would be
honey-fungus (Armillaria mellea) rather than termites.  Once that takes
hold, which it tends to in old stumps, it can start attacking living trees
and other plants nearby too.  (The caps are supposed to be edible after
cooking, but I don't care for them.  There are plenty of edible wild fungi
better than those, IMHO).

I certainly wouldn't consider tackling a 15m tree as a d-i-y job.

And in the UK you'd need to take advice as to whether the tree is subject
to conservation rules etc.

[followups narrowed]