scientific method labs

David L. Robinson dlrobi02 at HOMER.LOUISVILLE.EDU
Tue Aug 12 17:37:35 EST 1997

I occasionally do "The Black Box" lab as an intro to scientific
methodology. I use the little black canisters that Kodak film comes in
(you can get lots from camera stores) and put 1 or 2 objects like nuts,
bolts, paper clips, chocolate chips, washers, etc. Then give one
container to each student and tell them that no matter what, they are not
allowed to open the container to see whats inside their canister.

Their goal is to figure out what is in the container. You have empty
containers around (as controls), as well as duplicates of everything that
could be in them. After rolling the cannisters, listening to what they
sound like when shaken, weighing them, and boiling them (the chocolate
melts while the metal objects don't) they guess the right contents about
70% of the time.

A few years ago someone in this newsgroup suggested that at the end of
the experiment the teacher not tell the students whether they are correct
in their guess.....because that is what "real" science is like: one never
does find the real answer.

D. Robinson
Bellarmine College