What is this Plant? (picture enclosed)

Gerry Deitzer gd3 at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Fri Aug 15 10:32:17 EST 1997

The plant is definately Beech, but whether it is Fagus grandifolia or
Fagus sylvatica cannot be told from the picture.  Indeed it is difficult
to tell them apart anyway.  Fagus grandifolia is native to the US while
Fagus sylvatica is native to Europe.  Sylvatica is used extensively in
Europe as a landscape tree and is the only one that has multiple
cultivars with a range of variation.

Gerald F. Deitzer
Dept of Natural Resource Sciences and Landscape Architecture
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-4452