Strawberry development

Patrick Elvander elvander at biology.ucsc.edu
Wed Dec 3 11:42:44 EST 1997

If you look closely, with a handlens or dissecting scope especially,
you'll notice that each of the hard little "seeds" on the surface of a
ripe strawberry appears to have its own stalk-like structure. These are
the stigmas and styles that attach to each ovary. Thus, these hard little
structures are actually fruits (ripened ovaries) and are called achenes
(indehiscent, one seeded fruits derived from one carpel). Because there
are a number of them in each flower, they are aggregated together--which
is how I remember what an aggregate fruit is. The sweet, red, fleshy thing
to which they are attached is indeed a modified receptacle and I never
cease delighting in letting my students know that "strawberries" are not
only NOT berries but aren't even a fruit (in the technical, scientific
sense) but VEGETABLES-defined as any edible non-reproductive or vegetative
part of the plant. Thus, a strawberry is also a FALSE fruit.
Of course, this leads to the discussion of just what a fruit vs a
vegetable actually is--any many thins we call "vegetables" are actually
fruits, eg., cucumbers, tomatoes, string beans.

	Patrick Elvander	Department of Biology
	Lecturer in Biology	Sinsheimer Labs
	408-459-3674		University of California
				1156 High St.