Strawberry development

Dr. David Starrett dstarret at BIOLOGY.SEMO.EDU
Wed Dec 3 13:13:27 EST 1997

Thus, a strawberry is also a FALSE fruit.
>Of course, this leads to the discussion of just what a fruit vs a
>vegetable actually is--any many thins we call "vegetables" are actually
>fruits, eg., cucumbers, tomatoes, string beans.

Of interest along these lines:

In the late 1800's, the Collector of Customs for the Port of New York
declared that the tomato was a vegetable -- and therefore taxable.  The
importers sued, arguing that the tomato is botanically a fruit.  In 1893,
the case went to the U.S. Supreme Court, which concurred with the defense.
To this day, the tomato is still considered a vegetable by Uncle Sam!

Dave Starrett

* Dr. David Starrett                                      *
* Biology Department, MS 6200                             *
* Southeast Missouri State University                     *
* Cape Girardeau, MO  63701                               *
* Ph: 573-651-2382                                        *
* Fax: 573-651-2223                                       *
* Email: dstarret at biology.semo.edu                        *