new name for NOENVIRON needed

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Sat Dec 6 19:12:49 EST 1997

This sounded like fun till I saw the latest issue of Reader's Digest, of
all things.  In it is a feature article about the 10 myths of the
enviromentalists (or something like that-I don't have the article here
right now.).  Among the "myths" are global warming, species extinction,
Rachael Carson's "Silent Spring", the ability of the world to feed it's
expanding popuation (hey-we doubled agricultural output 20 years ago, we
can double it indefinitely) and several others.  Basically, the article
says, "science isn't in 100% agreement about  these  things, so we don't
have to worry-they're not true."   For the most widely read magazine in
the world to publish this stuff, even given RD's decidely right wing
slant, amazed me.  I encourage  you to check it out, not only because
some of your students will read it, but because they have a web site for
people to comment on it, and some educated comment might be appropriate.
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University