G. Bio. Labs

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at OSU.EDU
Sun Feb 2 15:49:25 EST 1997

>The discussion about the content and sequencing of general biology
>courses has been great!!  For me it's really timely because we will be
>revising our course, but I would like to raise additional questions to
>the group.  Although, I'm in favor of the problem based learning and
>various types of investigative research projects for all students, it
>becomes a daunting exercise when faced with LARGE CLASSES, INDIFFERENT
>STUDENTS, AND EVERYBODY'S PROBLEM -- NO MONEY!
>
>So, does anybody out there have any ideas about lab exercises that may
>be more investigative, that work or demonstrate some important
>biological phenomenon in some way, and don't cost much to do?  I have
>certain favorites and have dabbled with Fast Plants too
>
>Thanks,
>
>Deb Cook
>Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
>Clark Atlanta University
>Atlanta, GA 30314

Deb,
We revised our two-quarter "Introduction to Plant Biology" course for
*non-majors* about 5 years ago and the investigative, hands-on portions
seem to be working well.  Experiements include (in addition to traditional
microscope studies of plant parts):
        * effect of GA on dwarf pea plants
        * effectiveness of Rootone in initiating roots on mum cuttings
        * intraspecific and interspecific competition of corn and bean
        * nodule formation in soybeans under low nitrate and high nitrate
conditions
        * extraction of plant fossils from coal balls
        * growing fern prothallia
        * making bread and tofu
Students in 102 also write a term paper (or publish a www page!) on any
plant with major economic importance.

Copies of the experiments are available on request unless the requests are
too numerous!

Dr. David W. Kramer
Department of Plant Biology
Ohio State University at Mansfield