hot peppers

Bob Batson bob at
Thu Feb 13 17:25:40 EST 1997

Stefanie Marie Galgon (smg4 at DANA.UCC.NAU.EDU) wrote:
> Hello all...
> I have a question for you.  To put it simply, I have heard that one should
> not plant hot peppers up wind from mild peppers in the garden, for they
> will cross-pollinate and the mild will produce hot.  Developmentally
> speaking, what is your opinion on how this happens, when the "hotness" of
> the peppers is in the placenta?

It's true that most peppers will cross-pollinate, but you'll not
experience any "hotness" in your mild peppers until the 2nd generation of
plants grown from saved seed.

Bob Batson                              L 39 12 14 N  94 33 16 W
bob at                             Kansas City
TCS - Mystic Fire Priest                USDA zone 5b
Under the most controlled conditions, the experimental apparatus will
do exactly as it pleases.