www use

Thomas Bjorkman tnb1 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 19 13:21:55 EST 1997

In article <199702171938.OAA13547 at acunix.wheatonma.edu>,
Scott_Shumway at wheatonma.edu (Scott Shumway) wrote:

>         Students are required to write term papers in all of my classes.
> They are encouraged to make use of primary literature from scientific
> journals as well as scholarly books in our school library.  The World Wide
> Web is providing a new means of getting information about any topic
> imaginable.  Internet sources are appearing in students' literature cited
> sections with greater frequency.  Should students be allowed to use
> internet sources for writing their papers?  And if so, to what extent?

This is an answer from someone who puts primary research results on the
web.  I basically agree with Jon Monroe's reply. Much of what I have up is
also available in printed form, but a few things are not (yet).  The
latter may fall in the "personal communication" category.  Although I
leave most stuff up for a few years, you never know when I'll clean it
off.  The temporary nature of most sites makes them uncitable in writing
that is meant to have lasting value.  Some, such as the sequence databases
are intended to be archival and should be citable.
--
Thomas Björkman
Dept. of Horticultural Sciences