www use

David R. Hershey dh321 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Sat Feb 22 22:32:05 EST 1997

In regard to the peer review system, there is no incompatibility with the
internet. The current peer review system could pretty much remain in
place, the only difference would be that the accepted manuscripts would
become available on the internet almost immediately instead of the
current delay of many months to a year until they are printed and mailed.

The slow, or no, adoption of the internet as a more efficient method of
distributing and archiving journal articles is mainly an issue of money
and to some extent control. Private publishers and many scientific
societies have made substantial profits with paper journals, profits that
they are not willing to part with even though the internet would make the
literature much more widely accessible, easier to use, and instantly
correctable. Imagine, all you would have to do is click on a citation and
you could see a related article. Corrections could also be instantly
appended to articles found to be flawed. Use of internet journals also
would allow almost any small group of scientists to "publish" a refereed
journal for a particular research speciality which would tend to minimize
the power, and membership, of large science societies and private
publishers.

David R. Hershey
Prince George's Community College
Largo, MD 20772-2199