plants that can grow in the dark?

Doug Jensen doug_jensen at SMTPGTWY.BEREA.EDU
Wed Feb 26 09:06:45 EST 1997

    The Hydnoraceae are root parasites, with few above-ground parts.  At least
one species of Hydnora never comes above ground, even to flower.
    This is not a very practical example, however, as Hydnora is restricted to
Madagascar and Tropical Africa.  Field work is more like an archeological dig
than what my field botany class is doing.

Doug Jensen
Berea College
dpjensen at

Subject: plants that can grow in the dark?
From:    pmoore at (Patricia Moore) at Berlink
Date:    2/24/97  10:00 AM

I recieved a question today through the MAD SCIENTIST NETWORK that I
need a bit of help on.  The question that was submitted was:

Are there any plants that can grow completely in the dark?

If there is anyone who can help me out I would very much appreciate it!
Thanks, Trish Moore

p.s. in case anyone is interested, the MAD SCIENTIST NETWORK, which
answers science questions through the internet and is always interested
in people to help out, can be found at

Patricia J. Moore, Program Director
Biology Program
Transylvania University