Bio Project & help with cut flowers

JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Fri Jan 31 11:36:54 EST 1997

Ross Koning's replies to these requests are very thorough and to the
point, but I do want to add that vibrations DO have a documented effect
on plants,though maybe not one measureable without molecular tools.  All
of Janet Braam's work on the touch genes in Arabidopsis, (published in
Cell, Plant Phys, and elsewhere) might be worth a look.

Also, aspirin in the water of cut flowers may have an effect on floral
life because of the well documented effects of salicylic acid on the
induction of defense genes (measured in hours), though I don't know if
anyone's looked at this in cut flowers with the concentrations availible
in a single aspirin tablet (I spray whole plants with 5mM SA as part of
my work and get a dramatic response).  Back in 1994 there was a short
piece in Scientific American about this that would be a bit dated, but
definitely quite readable.

(Now I need to get back to work!)