PhloemAs a humble and overworked high school teacher, I would appreciate a cutting edge update on the state of play regarding the mechanism of phloem transport. Is the active element still considered to be the companion cells or am I totally out of date? Polite responses would be much appreciated. Paul Cotton

Andreas Matern alm13 at cornell.edu
Sun Jul 13 16:14:29 EST 1997

In article <33C8A177.5A37 at pandscot.demon.co.uk>, Paul Cotton
<paul at pandscot.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> As a humble and overworked high school teacher, I would appreciate a
> cutting edge update on the state of play regarding the mechanism of
> phloem transport. Is the active element still considered to be the
> companion cells or am I totally out of date? Polite responses would be
> much appreciated.
>
> Paul Cotton

Just a quick check in BIOSIS:

TI  An integrated approach to water transport in a plant over long
    distances.
AU  Kargol-A.
JT  Journal of Biological Physics.
SO  Journal of Biological Physics.
    22 (2). 1996. 157-173.

TI  Sap ascent in vascular plants: Challengers to the cohesion theory
    ignore the significance of immature xylem and the recycling of Munch
    water.
AU  Milburn-J-A.
JT  Annals of Botany (London).
SO  Annals of Botany (London).
    78 (4). 1996. 399-407.

TI  On the validity of plasmodesmograms.
AU  Van-Bel-A-J-E. Oparka-K-J.
JT  Botanica Acta.
SO  Botanica Acta.
    108 (3). 1995. 174-182.

BONNEMAIN, J. L., ET AL. (ED.). RECENT ADVANCES IN PHLOEM TRANSPORT
    AND ASSIMILATE COMPARTMENTATION; FOURTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON
    PHLOEM TRANSPORT AND ASSIMILATE COMPARTMENTATION, CHARENTE, FRANCE,
    AUGUST 19-24, 1990. XIV+344P. OUEST EDITIONS: NANTES, FRANCE. ILLUS.
    ISBN 2-908261-61-8.
    0 (0). 1991. 233-243.

--
Andreas Matern