chromosome stain

Jon Monroe monroejd at
Mon Jun 16 08:10:57 EST 1997

Here is a message from the Biolab list... can anyone help?  Please reply to
macampbell at (Malcolm Campbell).

>I am looking for some help with staining onion root tip chromosomes. I am
>working with a seventh grade teacher who has very little equipment or
>chemicals. She has some good microscopes so I thought we might be able to
>stain the chromosomes of a growing root tip. Does anyone know how to do
>this with as few toxic chemicals as possible?
>Thanks in advance,
>A. Malcolm Campbell
>Biology Department
>Davidson College
>P. O. Box 1719 (US mail) or 217 Concord Rd (shipping)
>Davidson, NC     28036
>phone:  (704) 892-2692
>fax: (704) 892-2512
>email: macampbell at

  Jonathan Monroe                voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
  Department of Biology                  540-568-6045 (lab)
  James Madison University       fax:    540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001    e-mail: monroejd at