plant-ed future

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Mon Jun 16 12:28:07 EST 1997

At the risk of wasting any more bandwidth on this, let me post what I
replied to Kathleen Archer, with some additions:

I'm only responding because no one seems to have mentioned the one
solution that the bionet reccommends to us every single month in their
FAQs posting-reading the newsgroup through the web or a usenet reader.
It cuts spams a lot by making them really obvious, keeps your mailbox
uncluttered, and best of all, keeps bionet in business by helping their
advertisers get exposure.  If the junk email is getting to you, bookmark
the newsgroup on the web and read it there-at your leisure instead of
first thing in the morning.

Plant-ed is a newsgroup, not a mailing list.  If you receive it by email
it's because you elected to read it that way, though bionet discourages
it.  I belong by email to 2 listserved mailing lists and 3 newsgroups,
one of which is moderated.

some thoughts:

1) moderation greatly slows the the list down, but it works to reduce
spams.  It increases multiple postings, because people wait a day, don't
see their post, and post again.  There is a days delay in a moderated
group, the price one pays for not using delete.

2) in another unmoderated newsgroup, the daunting task of finding
someone who was willing to screen posts everyday-weekends, holidays,
etc, convinced the group to just delete the spams (and they get every ad
that plant-ed gets-the software that generates these spams hits all the
newsgroups).  Because the topic of that newsgroup is women in biology,
no one wanted newcomers to be unable to find it in a web search and join
in the discussion.  If you have a listserver, people have to find out
about the group, join the server, and then see what the discussion is
like-you can't browse a listserved discussion.  Thus, the growth of the
list can be very slow.

3) one of the listservers (a science ethics group) had to simply end
last week, after 3 years, because the university that hosted the list
decided to get rid of the server, and another host couldn't be found.
The service (hardware/software) that bionet provides has to be paid for
by SOMEONE (a university if not bionet) and so is always in danger of
funding cutbacks by the university.

I throw these out as just some things to think about before we jump to
listserve.

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at