Recommend Botany Textbook

David R. Hershey dh321 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Mon Mar 10 00:57:21 EST 1997

Nice to see someone is trying to revive high school botany classes. There
are at least half-a-dozen intro. college botany texbooks on the market.
Three are published by William C. Brown of Dubuque, Iowa. They are Stern's
Introductory Plant Biology, a nonmajors text with lots on plant uses;
Northington and Schneider's The Botanical World, which emphasizes
environmental issues; and Moore et al's Botany, strong on physiology.

Saunders College Publishing has Mauseth's Botany: An Introduction to
Plant Biology, emphasizing evolution and diversity. Worth Publishers has
Raven et al's Biology of Plants, also strong on evolution. Harper & Row
has Kaufman et al's Plants: Their Biology and Importance, the oldest of
the bunch with a 1989 publication. All are good, have lots of color photos
but are heavy with vocabulary.

Do you have any particular emphasis in mind?