Investigative tree labs

David R. Hershey dh321 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Thu May 15 13:19:43 EST 1997

The morphological features are usually covered in woody plant materials
courses taught through a horticulture dept. which usually involve
being able to identify 100+ trees/shrubs on campus or nearby. This would be
a useful addition to a botany course as tree ID is a very useful skill
and students generally love it because they get to walk around campus and
hear stories about the trees. The standard text is Dirr, Michael A. 1983.
Manual of Woody Landscape Plants. Champaign, IL: Stipes Publishing. More
recent editions are available.

There have been some exercises in plant physiology manuals dealng with
trees, most about water relations or stomata, but woody plants have been
poorly represented as experimental subjects. There are many fascinating
possibilities for exercises such as overcoming tree seed dormancy,
grafting, pruning, and wound healing. I like to take horticulture classes
out and evaluate the woody plants on campus for pruning, problems,
placement, diseases, etc.

Foulger, A.N. 1969. Classroom demonstrations of wood properties. USDA
Forest Service, Forest Products Lab, PA-900. Wash. DC: Superintendent of
Documents (41 pages) is the best single source I know of. It has 20
exercises ranging from examining growth patterns in a discarded Xmas tree,
dye movement, measurement of wood fiber strength and specific gravity, and
measuring the strength of nailed and glued wood beams.

David R. Hershey

Snail mail: 6700 Belcrest Road #112, Hyattsville, MD 20782-1340

Adjunct Professor, Biology/Horticulture Dept.
Prince George's Community College, Largo, MD 20772-2199

Email: dh321 at pgstumail.pg.cc.md.us