Honors Botany course

James W. Perry jperry at UWC.EDU
Tue May 27 08:53:22 EST 1997

At 11:32 AM 5/25/97 -0700, Jon Monroe wrote:
>Plant-eders;
>
>I'm going to be teaching an honors section of Botany (a first-year course
>with a lab) in the fall and would like to hear advice from any of you who
>have taught such a thing.  I'll be using Moore et al.'s text and lab
>manual, but I would like to spice up the course with outside readings,
>writing assignments, and labs that allow students to be creative...  Please
>share your thoughts!

While I don't have any specific advice on honors courses, I will make a
comment on Moore, et al.'s accompanying lab manual. We have used it for the
last two years. We probably will not next year. It's apparent that this lab
manual is an amalgam of two different manuals that were put together without
a good editor. As an example, there are places within a single exercise
where two different classification schemes are used.

Especially for an honors course, there must be better lab experiments that
will challenge your students.

James. W. Perry, Campus Dean
University of Wisconsin - Fox Valley
1478 Midway Road, P.O. Box 8002