Honors Botany course

David R. Hershey dh321 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Wed May 28 11:43:58 EST 1997

Perhaps the honors class could thoroughly investigate a traditional botany
lab exercise and write an article about it for American Biology Teacher.
They could trace the exercise back in the teaching literature to see how
it originated and evolved. They could test a range of species and
conditions to see what works best and create a range of experimental
variations. An example would be the leaf disk photosynthesis experiment,
which was the subject of a recent inquiry about species that work in the
assay.

William F. Ganong of Smith College had students do such investigations on
chlorophyll spectra, root pressures, stomata numbers & sizes, starch
formation, transpiration, and cytoplasmic streaming. The results were
published in the Botanical Gazette between 1905 and 1909.

David R. Hershey

Snail mail: 6700 Belcrest Road #112, Hyattsville, MD 20782-1340

Adjunct Professor, Biology/Horticulture Dept.
Prince George's Community College, Largo, MD 20772-2199

Email: dh321 at pgstumail.pg.cc.md.us