Negative Phototropisms

Gary gjc1 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 4 12:31:34 EST 1997

Hello again.  You may remember my experiment, but for those that don't,
here it is:

> Hello, I am a student in 7th grade, and I am working on a large project
>
> dealing with "skototropisms," or the plant growth towards darkness.
>
> Although I have found quite enough information on tropisms, I have not
>
> found any books or articles on skototropisms.  Let me explain my
>
> project, and maybe you can help me.
>
> I will construct three "walls," all the same length and height.  These
>
> walls will be placed in the same place and exactly the same distance
>
> from a large window.  The first of these three walls will be constructed
>
> of black construction paper.  The second will be wax paper.  The third
>
> will be Saran Wrap.  (Keep in mind that there will be a few experimental
>
> plants that have no wall near them.)  I will have a minimum of 10
>
> plants, and they will all be in a row, therefore they will also all be
>
> the same distance from the walls. These plants will get the same amount
>
> of water, the same type of soil, be put in the same type of pots, and
>
> have same amount of sunlight. My hypothesis is that the plants will grow
>
> towards the darkest of the walls.
>
> My problem with this experiment is the plants.  What types of plants
>
> grow towards darkness? Why? How does this affect their photosynthesis?

Well, because skototropisms is only shown in tropical plants, I need to
modify my experiment.  Instead of skototropism, it will now be negative
phototropism.  Instead of the three "walls," it will now be small boxes
with the insides painted black across from each plant.
My problem is, yet again, the plants.  What plant(s) can grow quickly
AND show negative phototropism?  Please help!!!

						Thanks,
						Gary