Flora N America

Scott T. Meissner smeissne at PRAIRIENET.ORG
Wed Nov 5 11:34:13 EST 1997

Scott Shumway recently asked if anyone has used the
flora of north america series.

In my field botany course I have students do herbarium
work by restoring old herbarium sheets and updating the
labels.  We have many specimens from the early 1800s that
are in need of restoration.  The students enjoy working
with such old specimens, and they have to hunt through the
literature to find out how genus and species names have
been revised.  We use FNA when possible.  I also have them
collecting and keying out specimens.  FNA is very useful
once the family is identified, and extremely useful at the
genus and species levels.

It is likely to take a decade or more to get all the volumes out
but it will be THE standard reference once this happens.  I think
it is worth the money, though I wish I did not have to wait.

There will be a CD that will come out that will allow non-linear
searches.  I only got to see the beta version at the BSA meeting
in 1995, has anyone heard about the status of this project?

Scott T. Meissner, Division of Science and Mathematics
	McKendree College, 701 College Rd, Lebanon, IL  62254
	Tel: (618) 537-6934
	E-mail: smeissne at a1.mckendree.edu