Teaching Loads

Wed Nov 5 14:17:53 EST 1997

At 1:17 PM -0500 11/5/97, Deborah A. Cook wrote:
>Plant edders:
>
>I know, we've discussed this topic before, but does anyone out there N.
>America calculate teaching loads according to course enrollment?
>
>Our department is battling the Dean over this issue.
>Currently, it's supposed to be 12 credit hours.  We've been fudging with
>9 because of research activities (real or imagined).  What we are now
>concerned with is class size, class level and clock contact hours for
>both lecture and lab.
>
>Our difficulty comes with large lecture sections of General Biology,
>Genetics and Cell Biology.  Is teaching a section of one of these
>courses with an enrollment of close to or over 100 3 times a week for an
>hour equivalent to teaching 12 credit hours (4, 3 credit classes) of
>25-30?  We would say yes, but the Dean would probably say no.
>
>Any thoughts/comments are appreciated.
>
>Deb Cook

Here at ECSU we have to teach 12 Faculty Load Credits (FLCs).
A 3-hr per week lecture earns 3 FLCs, the 3-hr per week lab
that goes with it earns 2.25 FLC more.  The whole course is
thus 5.25 FLC.  The class size issue is determined by contract.
Any class 40 or fewer is the standard amount of FLC credit.
There is a sliding scale such that between 40 and 60 students
earns additional fractional credit up to 1 FLC and between 60 and
90 an additional 1 FLC, and between 90 and 199 an additional
=46LC.  No course may have more than 200 students without a
formal side-letter agreed upon between union (AAUP) and management.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479