membrane terminology

Barry Meatyard Barry.Meatyard at WARWICK.AC.UK
Mon Nov 10 04:13:30 EST 1997

Dear Plant-edders

As a result of a discussion with a group of students I thought I would tap
into the corporate wisdom of this group.

The question relates to the use of the term 'plasma membrane'. Basically it
is this:

Should the term plasma membrane be used solely for the membrane that bounds
the cell (ie the cell membrane), or are all membranes in cells 'plasma
membranes'?

If the latter then presumably the choroplast envelope (for example) is the
plasma membrane that bounds the chloroplast.

Somewhere in this debate is also the use of the tern 'unit' membrane I guess.

The impression I get from various texts is that there is no measure of
agreement.

Your thoughts please!

Barry

Dr.Barry Meatyard                       Tel: 01203 524228
Science and Plants for Schools          Fax: 01203 523237
Warwick Institute of Education          Email: barry.meatyard at warwick.ac.uk
University of Warwick
Coventry
CV4 7AL