algal taxonomy

DJHicks%Faculty%MC at MANCHESTER.EDU DJHicks%Faculty%MC at MANCHESTER.EDU
Wed Nov 12 11:19:00 EST 1997

Scott-

Dinophyta is used fairly commonly for the group - e.g. a recent and
authoritative-seeming text, van den Hoek et al's Algae: an introduction to
phycology (Cambridge UP, 1995), uses this term for the division name.

By "macroalgae" you mean browns and reds?  If so, they have no business in
the Plant kingdom (by which I mean green algae + bryophytes + vasculars) in a
system based on evolutionary relationships.  They share a grade of
organization (cell differentiation, tissues) with higher plants, but are not
part of a monophyletic group including plants.  I suppose you could therefore
put them in the Protista, which is a garbage can already. But perhaps a more
realistic approach is to recognize more than five kingdoms.  (Although that's
not very heuristic for beginning students, it's not so much harder than
trying to explain the Protista as a coherent group.)

And while we're at it, are slime molds and oomycetes part of Kingdom Fungi or
not?  (Rhetorical question.)

Dave Hicks			djhicks at manchester.edu
Biology, Manchester College

I am reviewing a textbook and have questions about some of the taxonomy in
the text.

What is the currently accepted division/phylum name for the
dinoflagellates?  This text refers to them as the dinophyta.  I have never
heard this name before.

What is the commonly accepted kingdom for the macroalgae?  Are they plantae
or protista?  Why?

Scott Shumway