plant kingdom textbook

Lamberts, William WLamberts at CSBSJU.EDU
Mon Nov 17 17:11:59 EST 1997

Plant-edders

Here are the results of my inquiry into a possible Plant Kingdom course
textbook.  Here are the volumes that were suggested to me, along with
some comments.  All of these publishers have websites, and at most you
can order inspection copies on-line.  Thanks to everyone for their
helpful suggestions!

William Lamberts
wlamberts at csbsju.edu
 Department of  Biology
O: 320-363-3160
St. John's University/College of St. Benedict                H:
320-203-8390
Collegeville, MN   56321-3000                                fax:
320-363-3202

http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~wlambert/

1.  Botany -- Moore, Clark, Vodopich (Wm C Brown/McGraw-Hill) one thumb
up, one thumb down.  You can get split volumes, though.

"I just went through the same problem last year.  I used Botany by
Moore, Clark, Vodopich and would definitely not recommend it.  There are
mistakes and poorly written sections particularly on lower plants."

course I can recommend Randy Moore's book "Botany" second edition. There
is so much information and all of it interesting especially in the way
it is presented. It is published by WCB Mcgraw Hill."

2.  Biology of Plants, 5th edition -- Raven, Evert, Eichhorn (Worth
Publishers)  rave reviews, but it is a General Botany text.  No split
volumes.  New edition next fall.

"For the past few years we have been using "The Biology of Plants" by
Raven, Evert and Eichorn, published by Worth. The students really like
it. We have used the Fifth edition but I understand that there is a new
edition this coming year. It may be a toss up which of these we use next
year."

"In my opinion, Biology of Plants, Raven Evert and Eichhorn,
WorthPublishers, 5th ed. is the Bible of all plant publications, it
includes the biology of Fungi and all of the other topics you covered in
your email. In Canada it is 100.00 (and well worth it even at that
price), so it should be cheaper for you."

"Unfortunately there is no good book with appropriate depth to cover the
plant Kingdom, in my opinion. I like Raven, Evert and Eichhorn's
presentation of that info in their Biology of Plants which is a general
botany text. They have a new edition coming out. If it isn't substantial
enough you could have students supplement the info with some review
articles."

3. Morphology of Plants and Fungi -- Bold, Delevoryas, and Alexopoulous
(formely by HarperCollins Colege Div, buth they were sold to someone
else).  may be good as a reference

"Bold, Alexopoulos and Delevoryas' Morphology of Plants and Fungi is
very comprehensive, too comprehensive. It is a great reference book if
you don't have it. Another good reference book is Giggord and Foster's
Morphology and Evolution of Vascular Plants. Good luck on finding the
right book for the plant kingdom."

"This sounds like a traditional plant morphology course, for which I use
Bold, Delevoryas, and Alexopoulous.  I like it because it covers all the
major examples and has excellent photographs.  The students don't like
it because it is dull reading.  It depends on the purpose the book will
serve and the students involved."

4. Botany, An introduction to Plant Biology, 2nd edition -- Mauseth,
James (Saunder College Publishing -- Jones and Bartlett)

Either this or Raven et al will be used by the person dissatisfied with
Moore et al.

5. Green Plants , their origin and diversity -- Peter Bell (Cambridge
University Press),

It was suggested that this is too hard for undergrads

6. The Diversity and Evolution of plants -- Pearson (CRC Press)

It was suggested that this is also too hard for undergrads.  I have a
copy.  I don't like it because he uses a two kingdom system (!) and
completely ignores endosymbiosis.