Applied genetics course

Barry Pogson pogson at ASU.EDU
Tue Nov 18 11:36:28 EST 1997

Dear plant-ed peoples,

I will be teaching a new course in the spring called "Applied
Genetics".  It will be a 300 level lecture + lab course with a high
practical content (2 x 3 h labs per week).  My goal is to make it more
of a plant molecular genetics course than a standard intro. genetics fly
course.  So it will include intro. molecular biology as well as
genetics. I will link many (but not all) of the different techniques in
the labs within the context of 2 major projects, one cloning a plant
gene using heterologous complementation in E.coli and the other
screening for chlorotic mutants in Arabidopsis.

My questions are does anyone know of a suitable text book?  Does anyone
have experience with any of the molecular genetics software designed for
teaching, such as virtual fly lab?  Has anyone set up a similar course
and if so do they have any tips?

Thanks for you time,

Dr Barry Pogson
Photosynthesis Center, Dept. of Plant Biology, Box 871601
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA.
Email: pogson at; Fax: 1 (602) 965-6899; Ph: 1 (602) 965-2583