question from plant bio (fwd)

Tia Lynn Ashman tia1+ at PITT.EDU
Fri Oct 17 07:15:05 EST 1997

Can any one help with this studnet's question?

Tia-Lynn Ashman
Assistant Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260

Phone: 412-624-0984
FAX: 412-624-4759
Email: tia1+ at pitt.edu

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 17:45:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dana M Hirte <dmhst38+ at pitt.edu>
To: "Dr. Ashman" <tia1+ at pitt.edu>
Subject: question from plant bio

Dr. Ashman,

I was reading through ch 7 on photosynthesis, and on pg. 139, I came
across the description of the function of carotenoids.  Apparently, they
help to protect the plant from photo-oxidation.  The book explains what
photo-oxidation is, but not how the carotenoids protect the plant.  I was
wondering if you knew how that was accomplished.  This is merely to
satisfy my own curiosity, so it really is not that critical.  But any
explanation you might have would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Dana Hirte