Asparagus too

Dr. David Starrett dstarret at BIOLOGY.SEMO.EDU
Thu Oct 23 11:13:26 EST 1997

>Perhaps-
>"asparagus pee" is a genetic tendency-if you experience this
>phenomenon, it's because you don't carry the gene necessary to break
>down one of the components of asparagus. Maybe some of the confusion
>over the definition of "coffee pee" has to do  with the fact that those
>who are not genetically predisposed have no clue what is being
>discussed.  I too, look forward to the emergence  of an expert....

I didn't know about the genetic aspect.  I have experienced the asparagus,
but not coffee, effect.  If they are both genetic, they may be different
alleles or genes...?  Anyone know what the mechanisms is (or isn't)?

Dave Starrett

* Dr. David Starrett                                      *
* Biology Department, MS 6200                             *
* Southeast Missouri State University                     *
* Cape Girardeau, MO  63701                               *
* Ph: 573-651-2382                                        *
* Fax: 573-651-2223                                       *
* Email: dstarret at biology.semo.edu                        *