(none)

farishg at CC4.ADAMS.EDU farishg at CC4.ADAMS.EDU
Mon Oct 27 11:39:25 EST 1997

>From farishg Mon Oct 27 10:19:32 0700 1997 remote from cc4.adams.edu
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:19:32 -0700 (MST)
From: Guy Farish <farishg at cc4.adams.edu>
To: plant-ed at net.bio.net
Subject: lab grades

I have to go along with Bob Vickery on the impact of lab grades.  Many
students are able to perform adequately in the lecture class room, but
have little practical experience in the lab.  This means that they are
often unprepared, clumsy, and anxious about labs (especially in more
advanced laboratories).  While I agree that they need to gain this
experience, I don't think they should be penalized for lack of experience.

This leads to another potential difficulty, the more subjective nature of
laboratory grading.  One can give objective practical exams and the like,
but how do you grade on lab skills? Or improvement in lab technique?
These tend to be subjective evaluations, and while I feel that I can give
a fair and impartial assessment of a student's abilities, they generally
think that I cannot!  Students like concrete objectives when it comes to
grading, and balk at any suggestion that they have been subjectively
evaluated, even when it means that they get an A.

Just my opinion, but I tend to stick with about a 75:25 or 70:30 ratio of
lecture:lab weight on grades.  I do like the suggestion of a workshop
format for advanced courses, I may give that a try in the near future.

Guy Farish, Ph.D.
Department of Biology
Adams State College
Alamosa, CO 81102