lab size

QDurham qdurham at aol.com
Tue Oct 28 11:50:37 EST 1997

>We have an official lab size maximum of 24 here at Trinity, but in practice
>it is rarely achieved except in the intro course.

Face it, a lot depends on the structure of the labs.  We were able to handle
 100% hands-on physics classes for 8th graders with classes no larger (and sure
 as hell no smaller ) than 28.  Students worked in teams of two -- probably a
 good idea at any level.  Lots of industrial noise.
Of course we could always suggest to the goof-off kid that "If this program is
 a little bit mature for you, Mary, perhaps you'd be more comfortable working
 out of the textbook." Worked almost every time.
If it works for hormonally-confused eight graders, can't see why it wouldn't
 work at any other, more rational, level.

We held to the 28 on safety grounds.

Quent