Equisetum spores

Wed Oct 29 09:07:33 EST 1997

At 11:24 AM -0500 10/28/97, Janice M. Glime wrote:
>  On one of these groups I heard that folks are culturing Equisetum spores
>for teaching.  However, when I tried to order some, I could not find a
>source.  It is too late in the season to collect them.  Does anyone know a
>source where I can order them?

Janice,

I read somewhere that the spores of E. arvense have
limited viability, so I don't know how good collected
spores might be.  Other species might be better choices.

Peter Kaufman, my thesis advisor, once dug a clump of
E. arvense in the fall which he kept moist in a cold
room until sometime in the early winter, then he
brought it out early enough to have fertile shoots
in the lab.  The pink shoots with green spores were
very nice in (as I recall) February!  I don't know
how well forced spores would grow, but I don't know
why they wouldn't.  They certainly had normal elater

I typically have Equisetum after weather breaks here
in CT, and I usually have fresh shoots from some
disturbed areas on our campus.  These have cultured
very nicely, though, it took seemingly forever to
get any gametangia...WAY to long for the remainder
of the semester.  SOOOO, I might be trying the forcing
trick myself.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479