green "autumn" leaves

dosmann at IASTATE.EDU dosmann at IASTATE.EDU
Wed Oct 29 12:23:51 EST 1997

I think you hit the nail right on the head.  Provenance and genetic
source are a primary reason for the variability in autumn leaf
coloration.  Here on the ISU campus, there is extreme variability both in
time of senescence and color.  A majority of the 'hard maples' on campus
are Acer nigrum, the black maple (A. saccharum ssp. nigrum for you
lumpers out there!), while there are some selections of true sugar maple
(A. saccharum) also on campus.  Since the black maples are primarily all
native or from native source, time of color development is pretty
synchronized.  Sugar maples, though, have been unpredictable, some still
green, others already defoliated.  Regarding trunk damage and coloration,
it has been my observation that some of the best color I have seen is
often associated with stressed trees.  Don't forget microclimate,
either.  While light intensity and photoperiod are relatively the same in
a localized area, microclimate (and evening temperatures) can vary
dramatically, also contributing to variable coloration.

Hope this helps,
Michael

---
Michael S Dosmann