Workshop format

Deborah A. Cook dcook at CAU.EDU
Wed Oct 29 12:22:15 EST 1997

Ken Klemow writes:

.....> I converted both of my upper-level botany courses
> (Plant Form & Function and Plant Diversity) to a workshop >format.  In that context, each of the two three-hour sessions >per week is a combination me lecturing for a while, and students >looking at specimens, performing experiments, etc for the >remainder of the time.

I've been trying this type of approach in my small, general botany class
(18 students) just recently.  We've been covering basic plant anatomy
recently and although I don't have a microscopic video camera for
teaching, charts and some diagrams on the board work well as I guide
them through the specimen.  The students really like this approach.
They felt more confident with the material and even enthused, dare I say
excited about plant anatomy.  What excited me was the greater
interaction between the students and me, as well as among the students
themselves.  What worries me is that is this too much like spoonfeeding
them the information?  Well, the lecture exam on this stuff is Thursday,
so... I'll find out then.

Any thoughts or comments from the group?

Deborah A. Cook
Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
Clark Atlanta University
Atlanta, GA 30314