Workshop format

Jonathan M. Greenberg jongreen at BLUEMARBLE.NET
Wed Oct 29 15:59:46 EST 1997

Deborah, if you are concerned that you are givng too much help toyour
studnets, how about giving them some inquiry activities? For example, ask
them to relate their histological observations to the adaptations of
different species or ecotypes (xeromorphs, hydromorphs, etc.), or ask them
to hypothesize and come up with experiments that would verify thier ideas
about morphogenesis,etc. I used to have students measure (cells/cm) and
count cells per internode in micrographs of stem apices, so they could
calculate the relative contributions of cell division and elongation at
various stages of stem growth.

Jon Greenberg

>Ken Klemow writes:
>
>.....> I converted both of my upper-level botany courses
>> (Plant Form & Function and Plant Diversity) to a workshop >format.  In
that context, each of the two three-hour sessions >per week is a combination
me lecturing for a while, and students >looking at specimens, performing
experiments, etc for the >remainder of the time.