Wanted - Info on Growing Yucca from seed

JFR jrembet at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 14 14:52:46 EST 1997

In <19970908.152457.913 at uk.ibm.com> lattimj at uk.ibm.com (John Lattimore)
writes:

>In article <ant080930d07Tqn&@adam.ihug.co.nz>,
> on Mon, 08 Sep 1997 09:26:30 +0000 (GMT),
> Brian Adam <Brian> writes:
>>Can anyone help with yucca growing, please?
>>
>>A friend with a small market garden here is having trouble getting
>>information on the web regarding gremination and growing yuccas.
Anyone know
>>of a suitable site or other source online?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Brian
>>--
>>Brian Adam  NEW ZEALAND
>>

>Brian, I didn't know you could get yucca seeds, I have seccessfully
grown
>yuccas just by planting pieces of the trunk in soil, I have a rather
large
>plant which I hack at when it touches the ceiling, I cut the cut off
piece
>into lenghts and repot them, then give them away when they start
developing
>shoots.
>Regards,  John.

We have native red yuccas, here in Austin, z8b.  They grow readily from
seed, but I planted my seeds in some poor draining top soil and they
did not do so well then.  I am going to retry with some good draining
potting soil and see what happens.  The germination rate was real high
though.

John R.