molecular biology text

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Thu Apr 2 09:05:06 EST 1998

Hi Plant-eders;

I'll be teaching a senior-level molecular biology course in the fall (first
time in 4 years) and I am beginning to look for a text.  In the past I've
used cell/molecular or biochemistry books but using just part of the
material from a well integrated text can be difficult.  Some molecular
biology texts stress prokaryotic biology and, while these organisms are
certainly worth learning about in a molecular biology course, being a plant
biologist I would rather have the focus be on eukaryotes.  Also, I am not
yet aware of any books that place an emphasis on whole genomes and
bioinformatics which I think will be a much more important aspect of such a
course in the near future.  Do any of you have suggestions for a concise
molecular text that emphasizes eukaryotes and bioinformatics?

Thanks!  I'll summarize the feedback here.

Jon

  Jonathan Monroe                voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
  Department of Biology                  540-568-6045 (lab)
  James Madison University       fax:    540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001    e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
    http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/jmonroe/jmonroe.html