Starch-iodine complex

George F Edick edickg at
Mon Apr 6 08:15:52 EST 1998

I have never found a good explanation of this classic reaction anywhere. A
chemist once told me that as simple as it appears to be, the
mechanism/structure is not well understood.

>What is it? I have searched thru our chemical references and
>cannot find the formula for the starch-iodine complex. I am
>probably looking in the wrong place: under "starch" and "iodine".
>Inquiring junior college minds want to know! -NHarrison
George Edick                                  E-mail:  edickg at
Department of Biology                         Phone:   518-276-8431
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute              Fax:     518-276-2344
Troy, NY  12180