Sinister DNA?

david walker david at ALEGBA.DEMON.CO.UK
Wed Apr 15 15:39:16 EST 1998

 I asked a distinguished molecular biologist this question. He didn't know
the answer either so I feel bold enough to ask you. The only diagram that I
had at hand showed DNA as a dextral spiral. Is it always thus in actuality
or sinistral or 50/50? Does the underlying chemistry dictate whether the
spiral is clockwise or counter clockwise? How relevant is this to the
additional twists which permit the two strands to separate at division
without becoming intertwined?