High School Assigment...

mystic mystic at lcc.net
Tue Apr 21 09:16:57 EST 1998

It would be a heck of a lot easier if you would just look up these terms
in the back of the textbook -- either your own class book, or of a
college level botany book.  There's probably not a single web site for
these very basic terms.  With one book in hand, you could make a field
study sheet for these terms, and maybe even find examples of these given
in the text so that you could have them at hand when you go collecting.
The web is not a good substitute for bookwork, believe me.  It's better
for finding one single piece of info, rather than an entire subject.
Get what you can out of the books first, THEN hit the web to search
for particular families of plants that have been suggested by the book.
I can get you started with a few definitions below.
Good luck

Matthew Moore wrote:

> I thought most of you would find this interesting:
>
> We were asked to bring in samples (live) of plants and flowers that had
> certain characteristics.  The challenge is to keep the amount of samples
> small with still showing al the characteristics.  I would appretiate any
> input any of you have.  Even just a single source on the internet where
> I could find the definitions to these words. Thanks!  Please reply to
> matmoore at jps.net.
>
> ______________________________
> PLANTS WITH:
>  calyptra
>  modified leaf -- spines or thorns
>  leaf node scars  -- places where the leaf has fallen off
>  internodes -- everything with leaves has these.  These are the spaces
		on the stems between leaf nodes
>  petiole-- the short stem that attaches a leaf to the main stem
>  lateral bud growth
>  simple palmate veined leaf -- maple
>  compound pinnate leaf
>  radicle
>  fibrous roots
>  tap roots - like carrots/dandelions/pecan trees
>  chorled leaf arrangement -- don't you mean 'whorled'? That's leaves
			arranged in a circular cluster around the stem.