"Clotton" Leaf Killer

David Olson trader7 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 6 12:18:03 EST 1998

I know very little about house plants but I enjoy house plants and have a
"plant room" in my house.  For several years I have been fighting some kind
of a "cotton" substance that forms on my plants.  It forms in small (maybe
about the size of the "o on this page") spots on the leaves and stems of my
plants.  It's a very delicate substance.  If you are careful you can kind of
knock it off into your hand.  If you touch it or try to pick it up it
basically disintegrates.  I will form on either the upper or lower side of
the leaf and on the stems.  It doesn't appear to be insect related but more
of a cotton type growth.

I have been fighting this stuff by wiping the leaves.

Does anyone know what this is and how to prevent it's return?

Thanks for you help,

Dave