Plant Systematics and Population Biology Position

david degroote degroote at TIGGER.STCLOUDSTATE.EDU
Wed Dec 16 13:31:43 EST 1998

Dear Plant-eders,
	Below is a position description for a plant taxonomist and population
biologist.  Share this with anyone who might be interested.  We also have
two additional positions we are searching, Genetics--more than likely animal
based, and a Cell Biology/Immunology position.  The ad for all the positions
will appear in the 1 January 1999 issue of Science.  If you or anyone would
like more information about any of the positions contact me at:
	degroote at stcloudstate.edu
david

Position Available:	Tenure track Assistant Professor, Plant Systematics  in
the Department of Biological Sciences.

Salary: Commensurate with academic qualifications and experience.

Date of appointment: August 30, 1999

Responsibilities: Teach upper division courses in plant taxonomy, field
botany and wetland plants/communities.  Shared teaching responsibilites
include:a non-majors ethnobotany course, an introductory diversity, a botany
course for majors and graduate level population biology course.  Curate
Herbarium containing 20,000 specimens.   Develop research program that
contributes to professional development and involves undergraduate and
graduate students is expected.  Ability to teach and/or perform effectively,
scholarly achievement or research, continued preparation and study,
contribution to student growth and development, and service to the
university and community.

Qualifications and experience:
Required: Ph.D. in Botany or relevant discipline with specialization in
plant systematics; post-doctoral experience or equivalent; training and
experience in field botany plant systematics and plant population biology.
It is essential candidates have successful experience in post-secondary
teaching and a strong commitment to teaching (BS/MA) and research interests
that would involve undergraduate and graduate (MA) students. The successful
candidate will have demonstrated ability to teach and work with persons from
culturally diverse backgrounds.

Department:
The department has 23 full time faculty offering 65 undergraduate courses
each year and twelve graduate-only courses.  We advise 600 undergraduates in
a range of biology programs: Aquatics, General Biology, Biology Teaching,
Biomedical Sciences, Biotechnology, Cell Biology, Ecology, and Wildlife
Management.

Apply to:
Chairperson, Department of Biological Sciences, St. Cloud State University,
720-4th Avenue South, MS-262, St. Cloud, MN  56301-4498

Application information and deadline:
 SCSU is committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity.
To promote this endeavor, we invite individuals who contribute to such
diversity to apply, including minorities, women, persons with disablilities
and veterans.  Send: letter of application including statement of research
plans and teaching philosophy, curriculum vita, transcripts (copies
acceptable for initial screening) and the name, phone number, postal and
e-Mail address of three references.  We will contact references to comment
specifically on your teaching ability, experience and professional
preparation. You may contact us by: phone, (320)255-4736; FAX,
(320)255-4166; or E-mail, Biology at StCloudState.edu.   All materials must be
postmarked by 2 February 1999 to be considered. E-mail or FAXed applications
received after 2 Feb. 99 will not be considered.

David DeGroote
Biology
St. Cloud State University