plant questions

Marose - William J. wjmarose at UMD5.UMD.EDU
Wed Dec 30 08:45:59 EST 1998

You can use sunflowers, or any type of bean.  These plants grow fast
enought to be able to show tropisms with in a month.  I regularly use them
in my botany classes.  This time of year sunflower seeds can be bought5 as
bird feed.  Be sure to pick over the seeds carefully before planting them.
Do not use cracked shells or ones with small holes in them.  These will
not grow.  Dry bean seeds from the grocery store also have a reasonable
germination percentage.  Be sure to plant more seeds that you want plants
for since both of these seed sources are produced for not germinating
reasons and may have not as high a germination percentage.

Bill Marose
ASHS
Severn, MD