lettuce seed germination

Tue Feb 3 09:18:08 EST 1998

At 6:46 PM -0500 2/2/98, wise at vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu wrote:
>Dear Plant Edders,
>
>        I am hoping to do the classic lettuce seed germination experiment
>in plant phys lab next week.  The standard procedure is to use the Grand
>Rapids variety.  However, all I can get locally and quickly are Romaine and
>Summertime.  Does anyone know if these latter two varieties will work?

Bob,

The best way is to try them...In my hands the lettuce
germinates in red/white light within two days time.
Under continuous far-red they fail to germinate above
4% and in darkness the results vary among seed batches
in my experience.

I routinely use 'Salad Bowl' because it is cheap and
abundant at our local AGWAY.  I can get several ounces
of the same seed lot.

I guess my point is that if you simply test one packet
(note the seed lot printed on the envelope), you can then
buy the bulk you need of the lot you have available that
works.

I have had 'Grand Rapids' that was great...I have had
lots that were miserable (98% germination in the dark!).

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479