Physarum sporangia

James W. Perry jperry at UWC.EDU
Fri Feb 6 18:37:05 EST 1998

Sporangia form when the plasmodium is exposed to light. Grow the plasmodium
on moistened filter paper in a large (8") culture dish as per usual
instructions: invert one half of a large petri dish and place a large piece
of filter paper over it. The filter paper should dangle in the water within
the culture dish. Place a piece of scelrotium in the center and place
rolled oat flakes over the surface of the filter paper. The plasmodium will
feed on yeast and bacteria on the oat flakes. Cover culture dish with a
piece of glass or plastic wrap and place in the dark. Get a good plasmodium
over the course of 4-5 days and then bring it out into the light. Allow the
nutrients to be depleted by not "feeding" oat flakes and allow the culture
to dry slowly. Sporangia will form within 24-36 hours following exposure to
light.

At 12:34 PM 2/6/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Plant-edders
>
>I am planning a lab involving the acellular slime mold Physarum.  I would
like
>my students to be able to observe the sporangia.  Can anyone tell what
>conditions will induce the formation of sporangia?
>
>Bill Lamberts

>William Lamberts
>wlamberts at csbsju.edu
> Department of  Biology                                                    O:
>320-363-3160
>St. John's University/College of St. Benedict                H: 320-203-8390
>Collegeville, MN   56321-3000                                fax:
320-363-3202

>http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~wlambert/

James. W. Perry, CEO/Campus Dean
Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Fox Valley
1478 Midway Road, P.O. Box 8002
Menasha, Wisconsin 54952-9002
Office: 920.832.2610