computer lab activities

Jim Perry jperry at UWC.EDU
Sat Feb 7 10:35:44 EST 1998

I have an old (1992) version of Wings software for photosynthesis,
genetics, and population ecology that I received when I was doing some
writing and was considering it for inclusion as an alternative lab
activity.

1. Has anyone used this software?

2. Is there an updated version?

3. How do those of you at small schools with small budgets deal with the
issue of the expense involved with site licenses for software. It seems we
get lots of information concerning software that looks like it might be
useful, but we don't want to buy just one copy for one machine, we want a
site license so that all students can access it at a given time. Our annual
budget for 10 courses is about $5000.

I can understand how at school can justify purchase expensive items when
there may be a couple thousand students using them per year, but those of
us at small campuses seem tobe caught in a bind, including with things like
BioQuest, which, as I understand it,  requires a really significant
*annual* outlay.

jim