Physarum sporangia

James W. Perry jperry at UWC.EDU
Fri Feb 6 19:02:48 EST 1998

Ross, et al.,

To form a scelrotium, prepare a massive culture as I previously described.
Decant excess water and replace the glass cover with brown wrapping paper
(such as a grocery bag). I uses to wrap the whole culture dish. Incubate
the culture below 25 degrees C in darkness. After 7-10 days of gradual
drying the plasmodium should aggregate into a thick, spongy sclerotium.
Test its viability by placing it on moistened filter paper or water agar.
If viable, cut the dried, filter paper containing scelrotium into ~1 cm
squares, place in an envelope and store in a refrigerator.

There's a drawing in the Prep Guide for Lab. Topics in Botany (Eichhorn,
Perry and Evert, Worth Publishers.)

jim