Question about aloe

L. J. Swann lswann at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 10 23:24:32 EST 1998

I inherited an aloe plant from my grandmother.  The plant sat around in her
house for six months before I saw it and decided to see if I could take care
of it.  I'm not really good with plants, and I haven't been able to find a
lot of information on the internet about taking care of aloe plants.  The
information that I have found is very vague.

This aloe plant had overgrown the bounds of its planter and had a lot of
dead leaves bunched up in the center.  The soil was really wet, and I assume
aloe plants are supposed to be dryer.  I repotted the aloe, using the soil
it was already in, but loosening it up, and then I removed all the dead,
wilted leaves that were attached to any living leaves, and separated the
plants into sections which each their own independent roots.

The soil has dried out some, but now it has a layer of mildew or something
on the soil, and a lot of the leaves are starting to wilt at the edges.  I
have no idea what type of soil its potted in, and really don't know anything
about soil types or what to buy to try to repot it again.  What can I do to
help these sections that are left of this plant survive?  This is one of the
few things I have left of my grandmother, and I really don't want to see it
die.  I keep begging my mom to let me take it to a nursery or plant expert
nearby, but she keeps saying that we should handle it ourselves (my mother
is notorious for killing any plant she gets her hands on).  Please help!!!

Thanks,
L.J.

lswann at mindspring.com